Thank you for existing. I remember when you didn’t, and fannish life is so much better with such a robust and well-stocked archive. You’re the first place I go when I’m looking for fic in a new fandom, and I’m always shocked when I go looking for a beloved old fic and it isn’t there because it was written back in the olden days when we all had our own web sites scattered across the internet, all of them able to vanish in an instant at the whim of an ISP.
So thank you for giving us a home. <3
p.s. Dear fans, please upload your older works to the AO3, too!
Seconding this request so much! <3
My tips for importing older stories en masse even if you have loads of them and it seems like a massive job!
- import all your stories in fandom/pairing batches (you can import up to 25 works at once)
- ticky the “Set the following tags on all works, overriding whatever the importer finds.”
- if the stories don’t all have the same rating/warnings, then tag them all with Not Rated, Choose Not To Warn. If all your stories are in the same fandom/pairing, tag for that also.
- under additional tags stick in ”imported” (or whatever similar tag you want to use for your own stuff).
- tidy up the imported stories and their tags one by one whenever time allows. (Once nice option: fix them up as you get kudos or comments on them.) When you do, take the “imported” tag off. (I like to add on “backdated” in its place so I remember it was posted elsewhere first.)
This is IMO the best way to get your stories preserved — the most important thing is to get the content up there on the archive. If people see a tag like “imported” then they will understand that the story came from elsewhere and if there are issues that make it hard to read, often they’ll tell you in a comment, and that is a happy-making incentive to fix that story up. :)